The warmer temperatures in NYC have me craving a light salad with crispy spring vegetables. The union square greenmarket with beaming with fresh flowers, and we starting to see more than just roots and tubers. The combination of the spicy radishes with the creamy dill dressing is so satisfying and light . The sprinkle of hemp seeds give this salad an additional superfood boast, they have omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which our bodies can't produce on its own and we must get from food sources. They are also a great source of protein, which helps to keep us fuller longer.I am really into using cashew base for my dressing. They provide a creamy texture and mimic a cheese like flavor. This is a perfect salad to "put an egg on" but really, what salad isn't?
Prep Time: 10 Mins
- 1 bunch lacinato kale (Dinosaur kale), stems removed and leaves torn into small pieces
- 1 bunch of breakfast radishes, leaves removed ( I save them and saute) sliced into circles.
- 1 english cucumber, sliced into half moons
- 1 cup of sugar snap peas, cut on the diagonal
- 1 cup of salt potatoes. steamed, and cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup of cashews soaked overnight or 2 hours
- 1/2 of a shallot, diced
- Juice from half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1-2 medijol dates, sliced
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place salad ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- To make the dressing, drain and rinse the cashews.
- Add cashews, shallot, lemon, mustard, dates, dill, salt and pepper to a food processor.
- Blend until dressing forms a creamy texture. You may have to add more liquid but you don't want it too runny. Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Toss salad with dressing, garnishing with extra dill. Yay for spring!!