If you’re looking to satisfy your little one’s sweet tooth while also packing in their daily dose of fruits and veggies, give these coconut carrot cake muffins a try. The oat flour base adds a good amount of protein to keep bellies full and the chia seeds deliver lots of fiber and omega-fatty acids.
The muffins are made without nuts so they are allergen free and safe for schools, making them a great on-the-go breakfast and school lunch staple. The sweet coconut flavor hides the taste of carrots and zucchini so even the pickiest of eaters will enjoy these. An added bonus is that the muffins can be frozen for up to 3 months. Make a big batch at once to make future breakfasts, lunches, snack times a breeze.
Coconut Carrot Cake Muffins
- Servings: 18-20
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 15-20
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup either almond or oat flour (almond if allergic or oat if school does not allow nuts)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 2 very ripe bananas mashed
- ⅓ cup plus 2 tablespoons full fat coconut milk, just the cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla
- 1 cup grated carrot
- ½ cup grated zucchini
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and prepare a muffin tin with coconut oil or coconut spray.
- Combine dry ingredients into a large bowl. Mix until well combined. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs and coconut milk. Add the mashed bananas and vanilla. Mix until all combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir together until all moistened. Add in carrots and zucchini. You will have a thick dough.
- Spoon batter into a muffin tin. Muffins will be smaller than usual. Bake for 20-25 mins until golden on top.
- Muffins can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days in a single layer in an airtight container. I light to keep one paper towel on the bottom and one the top of the muffins to keep the moiste.
- To Freeze: Let cool completely and store in an airtight container for up 3 months. When ready to serve either, heat in an oven or toaster oven until warm at 350 degrees F. Can be warmed in the microwave until heated all the through.